Home Main Suggestions/Queries Thread A couple of Site Suggestions

Moderator: ILS007

A couple of Site Suggestions

Postby metasploit » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:41 pm

I was a member of another very popular MTT only training site and I have a few suggestions that I would love to see implemented here.

1. It would be cool if perhaps once a week Ivan could do a member SnG HH review. As we all know, the game changes constantly and it would be nice to see how the game is changing over time and the adjustments we all need to make to stay ahead of the curve.

2. In the forums it would be nice to include an option to covert our HH without having to go to another site and copy / paste etc. This is not a big deal but it would be nice. Also I think we really need to strongly urge people to use the HH Converter to keep everything nice and consistent when posting hands.

3. Include an option to "thumbs up" or "star" posts which are very good / worthwhile / informative / well written etc

4. Add other forum sections such as

"technical support discussion" (for issues with computer setup, computer issues related to poker etc..I could be of help here as I have 10+ years of I.T experience and that is what I do every day),

"SnG HUD discussion" (a section where we can discuss setup and usage of HUD's, HUD stats, making decisions based on HUD information, HUD layout, HUD colors, etc..()

"staking/coaching discussion "(where users can discuss issues with staking and or coaching),

"poker software discussion" (where we all discuss what poker software we use, what tools we have come across to help our games, how to use them, tips and tricks etc..)

5. Possibly Ivan could arrange to have a 'members tournament / MTT SNG' once a week, month etc. A small buyin MTT sng on stars for example where everyone pays 5.50 (or whatever buy-in is) and the winner gets their HH reviewed by Ivan. Also you could keep a little leader board and the top whatever finishers get a free Hand History review by Ivan.

6. Articles from Ivan (a weekly article covering a SnG topic in more detail)

I feel it's very important to promote the COMMUNITY atmosphere and make it feel like everyone here is family. After all, we are all trying to improve our games and we are all here to help each other out.

what do you guys think?
metasploit
Grinder

Re: A couple of Site Suggestions

Postby ILS007 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:15 am

Some great suggestions there, thanks for the input!

I will likely action some of the suggestions you make, some others are practically difficult to implement and may be considered at a later date.

Overall I think community and participation is fundamental to the success of all members, similar models can be seen as huge successes in open-source projects that have become huge. Poker really is a pursuit where you will only get out what you put in, this cannot be emphasized enough!

The more suggestions/feedback I receive, the better we can make this site, so please keep it coming :D
ILS007
Site Admin

Postby metasploit » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:31 am

ILS007 wrote:Some great suggestions there, thanks for the input!

I will likely action some of the suggestions you make, some others are practically difficult to implement and may be considered at a later date.

Overall I think community and participation is fundamental to the success of all members, similar models can be seen as huge successes in open-source projects that have become huge. Poker really is a pursuit where you will only get out what you put in, this cannot be emphasized enough!

The more suggestions/feedback I receive, the better we can make this site, so please keep it coming :D

Items you will likely implement such as?

:)
metasploit
Grinder

Postby ILS007 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 pm

metasploit wrote:
ILS007 wrote:Some great suggestions there, thanks for the input!

Items you will likely implement such as?

:)

Will see! ;)
ILS007
Site Admin

Postby metasploit » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:54 pm

LOL you tease. Here are a few other suggestions:

Hand of the Day/Week section - where you discuss a particular hand that is interesting, covers multiple concepts, advanced concepts etc. People will naturally read and reply to your posts as you are the resident pro here and the more discussion you can spark the better off everyone will be.

Ivan plays the micros - A small hand history review or 'live sweat' where you drop down and play a few micro stakes games and see what adjustments YOU, a professional would make playing down in the low/micro stakes games.

I know that you are not like the other training sites where you are constantly putting up training videos, but I would really like it if there is something other then the videos and the forum to further along our training. I feel as though we should get something from you at least once a week, besides your excellent replies in the forum (member HH review, a poker article from you, live sweat from one of your sng sessions) or something similar to further along our education and to keep things interesting.

Don't get me wrong, the forum is great (and once I start playing I'll be posting a lot) and the video instruction is also top notch but I feel as though I should be getting a little more. Perhaps I'm greedy, and perhaps I've been spoiled by other 'training sites' in the past.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by metasploit on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
metasploit
Grinder

Postby ILS007 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Cool, thanks!

Yeah it's nice to add fresh material regularly keeps things interesting and current, I'll definitely look to implement something based on your suggestions (they're great!).

I'd say Professional Poker Videos is quite a lot different to other training sites in the offering. Most training sites create a database of videos which gets updated fairly regularly from a range of coaches. Depending on the site, these coaches can range from small winners to seriously huge winners, but often there's a variety of quality. Also a large quantity of the videos are years old since those sites have been running quite a long time, so not all the videos are up-to-date and relevant.

The goal of my offering is to offer a coaching experience similar to how I have succeeded in private 1-1/small-group coaching. The premise is that I will spend a long time developing ideas and theories in a way that is teachable and concise, and workable to learn. It will be best mastering a concise amount of accurate material than watching 100 hours of video which contains fluff/overlapping material. By the time you work through the last 20 hours, the first 20 hours aren't very fresh in memory. To internalize material, you need repetition and reinforcement, so once a video database reaches a certain size, it can become detrimental because it can't all be internalized.

Instead, I concluded from my coaching experience that once you have got the fundamentals and core concepts down, learned top-to-bottom, inside and out, you can extrapolate more advanced ideas through these, and this can be done by exploring specific spots and ideas in HH analysis. The way I'm trying to replicate this is through the private strategy forums. Because participation in HH analysis is a lot more interactive than sitting back, relaxing and watching a long video, I believe it is more effective. It's also more difficult and requires more effort to do (from all involved), and that is why a large percentage of members will lurk in the shadows and just watch the discussions - that's fine, but they won't get maximum benefit without greater immersion.

From a personal perspective, previously I wasn't able to offer coaching to people who approached me but were micro players/players unable/unwilling to spend $500+ for a coaching package. So this way I'm able to offer ongoing long-term coaching at a fraction of the price-point per month. The difficulty is explaining and marketing that the main value in the series is the ongoing private forum coaching, not actually the videos themselves. When a site makes a database of coaching videos, they are non-specific to the individual. When a student asks me about a specific spot/topic, I can tailor a direct response to them, replicating private 1-1 coaching. The more involved in the forum/community they are, the more I get to know who they are and where they're at in their game, so the replies I give can bare that in mind.

So that's basically an in-depth description of my model and what I'm trying to achieve. I do think you are absolutely right though that updates are going to be super useful for retaining enjoyment and interest, and also just to introduce some more stuff. So I will do this in some capacity, but within the coaching model I've described.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for the useful input!
ILS007
Site Admin

Postby metasploit » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Hey Ivan,

Thanks so much for this. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain. I was well aware that this site was not the typical poker training site as I had researched your thread in the SNG coaching section on 2+2 before joining.

I actually really like that the emphasis is on learning the fundamentals along with ongoing education in the the private training forum. For the reasons you explained I also feel that this is a much better way to learn. It does put more pressure on you though, since the forum is critical for our successes, we expect to get a lot of interaction from you (and so far you have been doing a great job). I'm not sure what it's like in the 18 man SnG forum but I assume it's probably quite active.

I do hope that you act on a few of my suggestions in the near future. Most importantly I would like to see something along the lines of member hand history reviews and live sweats / HH reviews from some of your SnG's. Granted they are at a MUCH higher skill level then what I'll be playing, but it would be nice to see how the great players play. Also, I think it would be really great to see you drop down and play a few $1.50 9 / 18 man SnG's on stars.

The reason I recommend a few live sweats (live recordings of SnG's while your playing them) is that you can get a feel for game flow and table dynamic which is somewhat lost when reviewing HHs.

Anyway thanks again and I plan on playing my first session of low stakes 9 man turbo sng's any day now. I'm excited to get started and expect quite a few questions in the forum from me soon lol :)

cheers
metasploit
Grinder

Postby Slag07 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:07 pm

metasploit wrote:Ivan plays the micros - A small hand history review or 'live sweat' where you drop down and play a few micro stakes games and see what adjustments YOU, a professional would make playing down in the low/micro stakes games.

I Like this idea. I can understand why you wouldn't want to do it but I have been playing the $1.50 and doing a lot of HH reviews and I am, on the whole, playing well but some of the hands I am being called with (and beaten by) are just mental. Would be interesting to see what you make of the games and also to see what alterations may or may not be needed at the lowest levels.

Also I imagine most people using this site will be starting off at the micro levels so might be quite useful to them/me :D
Slag07
Grinder

Postby ILS007 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:05 am

Slag07 wrote:
metasploit wrote:Ivan plays the micros - A small hand history review or 'live sweat' where you drop down and play a few micro stakes games and see what adjustments YOU, a professional would make playing down in the low/micro stakes games.

I Like this idea. I can understand why you wouldn't want to do it but I have been playing the $1.50 and doing a lot of HH reviews and I am, on the whole, playing well but some of the hands I am being called with (and beaten by) are just mental. Would be interesting to see what you make of the games and also to see what alterations may or may not be needed at the lowest levels.

Also I imagine most people using this site will be starting off at the micro levels so might be quite useful to them/me :D

Yep cool, this is planned.
ILS007
Site Admin

Postby metasploit » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:02 pm

I came up with another suggestion that should be pretty easy to implement in the forums and might be of some use to us.

It could be called something like "Member Hand History Exchange" and it works like this.

We post our hand histories (from our Wins, Bubbles, Tough SnG's etc...)in the forum where others can download them to see what other players here are doing while playing similar stake SnG's. We can then comment on hands that we find interesting to help improve each others games. Perhaps we may want to jump up in stakes but don't want to invest the money right away, we could then download some HH's from players playing the stakes you want to play to check them out to see how the play changes from your current stake level.

The immediate issue I see here is how to get the HH's onto the forum where we can download them.

There are a few options.

1. Ivan sets up an email address "hhexchange@professionalpokervideos.com" and we email our HH's to this address. He then puts them on the server and adds posts in the HH Exchange Forum with links pointing to the Hand Histories. This might be to much work as Ivan is pretty busy.

2. Ivan takes the Hand Histories and just copies them into a directory setup on the server where 'indexing' is enabled, so we just hit up the link and voila, we see a bunch of HH's we can download just by right clicking (this is probably the easiest option)

- on a side note, Ivan I am more then willing to take over this project if you were to set me up with the appropriate access or whatever. As you know I am an IT professional and I have extensive Linux experience. Email me if you want to discuss this option. :)

3. We take it upon ourselves to figure out a way to post the HH's in downloadable format (instead of copying the entire HH into a form post)

I can use Dropbox and I recommend that everyone else sign up for a Dropbox account as well. It's free, and you get 2GB of data to start and it's super easy to upload files to your dropbox account and share them with others. You can copy / paste a link to the HH file or you can just give everyone a link to the 'public' folder on your Dropbox account and dump your HH's in there.

4. Add an option on the form to upload the HH right into the post we are creating. Sort of like adding an attachment to email.

Anyway just another though. I have many, some good, some not so good lol

cheers
metasploit
Grinder

Postby TheLondoner11 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:59 pm

" Ivan plays the Micros " will be awesome. I really want to know his thought process. ;)
TheLondoner11
Grinder

Postby metasploit » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:12 pm

TheLondoner11 wrote:" Ivan plays the Micros " will be awesome. I really want to know his thought process. ;)

I think so also. A lot of people seem to want this. I hope he does a 'live sweat' where he records his thought processes in real time. I would also settle for a Hand History review, or better yet, BOTH :)
metasploit
Grinder

Postby TheLondoner11 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:36 pm

i thought about it & if he really is planning to do this i think 3.50 $ or 7.00 $ games would be better than 1.50 $ to be honest.
TheLondoner11
Grinder

Postby metasploit » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 pm

1.50, 3.50, 7.00 all the same pretty much. Micro stakes are Micro Stakes.
metasploit
Grinder

Postby TheLondoner11 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:35 am

7$ are not micros,it's low BI,but it's no longer micro :) & since i'm planning to move up soon,would be interesting to see Ivan play some of those too.
Anyway let's not get ahead of ourselves.Let's wait & see what happens.
TheLondoner11
Grinder

Next

Return to Suggestions/Queries Thread